Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It's a Girl......Dog!



The Lump of my life

It's official! I finally adopted a dog!!!! All those who know me from work and otherwise are aware that I have been all talk and no action for years now. My husband always throws out the, "GET A DOG ALREADY," when I start crying over those heart-breaking ASPCA commercials. Well, on Thursday I decided - as I do every month - to browse the Escondido Humane Society's web page. I came across an image of a small black dog, very roly-poly and lumpy in appearance. I was immediately taken by the little creature. I decided I had to meet her.

"Celeste" as she was then known, was being fostered and I arranged for her foster mom to bring her to the Humane Society on Friday. As it turned out, she wasn't roly-poly - it was just a weirdly angled photo - but I still liked her. Once she sniffed her surroundings she just wanted to lay on her back and enjoy a belly rub. Cut to the next day with the hubs and I scrambling around to find dog accouterments and putting down a security deposit with our landlords. By noon on Saturday she was our dog, our Lumpy - I still like to imagine her a bit chubby. Lumpy is proving to be a great dog. She's super mellow when in the house, wanting to sit on the couch; yet she is duly excited and appreciative of a good walk. She is totally house-broken and starting to grasp the sit command (especially when Pupperoni is involved).

I want give mad publicity to the Escondido Humane Society. It was so apparent that the dedicated employees and volunteers are devoted to their work, and just so happy to be matching orphaned animals with the right forever families. They really accommodated my schedule in terms of meeting with Lumpy and getting the adoption process complete. My Lumper was fully micro-chipped, spayed, de-flead, bathed and medically sound when I took her home. I even got a complimentary collar. I caught a great adult dog special and my fee was only $45. 'Small price to pay for the unconditional love only a dog can give you.


So, if you're looking for an addition to your family, please, please, please consider an animal shelter like the Escondido Humane Society. They have everything from dogs to hamsters, supporting their cause is just such a great help and investment in the community. There's really no substitute for the love, patience and selflessness you learn from adopting a pet.....Okay, I'll get off my soap box now and hang out with Lumpy.

Later,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment